Sunday, August 3, 2008

The return to square one

Aug. 03 - late afternoon. I spoke with an informative woman via the Capital Health line. Compassion still lingers. During our discussion, the woman asks a series of standard questions regarding my right hand and we discussed the appearance of 'zombie hands', the darkening of the joints and the Greyish-Blue appearance of the index/middle fingers. She raised concern that there might be an issue of improper circulation. Myself, I just thought the discoloration is from internal pooling of blood. I did notice that the blood is pooling around the joints and impeding the middle finger from fully arcing, however, I noticed a lack of arc on my good left hand when I isolate the ring and pinky finger in the straight position. No matter, it is my legal and humane right to have my right hand assessed or rather double checked by another hospital. I hate to jam up ER again, but I am going to be ruthless to avoid disability and sit in line with people with dog bites, stitch removals, sprained ankles and other light instances including coughs. The waiting list is based upon urgency anyways and it is not like I am putting others at risk.

Trust me, I would take a scar over a crooked pinky any day. The hand is far too valuable of an appendage to waste from incompetence. There is no feasible reason for a crooked pinky and it's knuckle ending up a quarter way back into the top of the hand. I sure hope the triage nurse takes an X-Ray to prove the incompetence beforehand because I truly doubt the metacarpal is beginning to fuse straight in six days of being unchecked. One again I am not sure of the procedure, but most people need their primary hand as quickly as possible with little side-effect.

I suspect to be in limbo for six hours or so, but I will surely sacrifice twelve or even twenty-four hours over leaving everything 'as-is' for two weeks. Thanks, but no thanks. I have read far too many tales of woe to leave me justifying misplaced trust. I sincerely hope that luck is on my side and the fracture site could not be doing any better or so it may seem without making a fist and not finding a crooked pinky until the end... where it will all rewind for the worse.

2 comments:

A Essington said...

i waited 8 days before having my hand looked at tonight after drunkenly punching someone in the face with a right hook. -broken, 4th and 5th metas. the 5th is fused already , surgery for the 4th because its not fused yet. for sure, wise call on your part to hurry up.

/ said...

As soon as I saw my hand, I knew something was messed up. It swelled up like a mofo and had this dull pain. It looked sick, like if the pinkie was jammed halfway into the hand. I'm a superficial bastard and I wanted to get my hand repaired as soon as possible. I reckon I have a cavity, but I'm also a broke bastard that can't afford to get a filling, so I might have had to tape up the hand if I couldn't have gotten it patched up for free. I have to get used to the fact that my right hand is pretty much useless for anything rough as the 5th meta will likely explode again under pressure. I'm not one for brawling, but I'm sure not going to let anyone use me for a punching bag if I can help it. This city is nasty, filled with so many fruitcakes and gangstas thanks to no capital punishment.